When it comes down to accuracy, there are number of national newspapers in most countries that are well-staffed with reporters and have an editorial process that places premium on accuracy.
These papers are sometimes referred to as "newspapers of record", and are distinguished in two ways:
- They are rigorous, showing attention to detail and having accountability in their editorial processes.
- They have a truly national view, and attempt to be the best possible record of what happened in the nation (not just region) on given day.
The United States is considered by some to have these national newspapers of record:
- The New York Times
- The Wall Street Journal
- The Los Angeles Times
- The Washington Post
- The Boston Globe
- The Miami Herald
- The Chicago Tribune.
Some other English-language newspapers of record:
- The Times (UK)
- The Daily Telegraph (UK)
- The Times of India (India)
- The Globe and Mail (Canada)
- from Web Literacy for Student Fact Checkers by Mike Caulfield, https://mikecaulfield.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/webstrategiesforfact-c...